In life, every step counts. Your feet allow you to carry on with your daily activities. Caring for them can sometimes be challenging, but today Dr. Hubert Lee of CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists is sharing information regarding eight reasons why you should take proper care of your feet.
Being aware of how these health conditions can affect your feet will help you keep them healthy and happy.
- Diabetes. Diabetes can cause several different foot complications, including neuropathy (that can sometimes result in amputation) and poor circulation.
- Arthritis. Arthritis can present itself in several ways, but it’s usually painful, and it can be debilitating. When arthritis attacks your feet, there can eventually be a loss of mobility. It is crucial you visit a podiatrist if you experience the following symptoms:
- Painful joints;
- Swollen joints;
- Difficulty moving a joint;
- Redness on the joint;
- Stiffness early in the day;
- Changes in the skin.
- Injury. Ankle and foot injuries, including sprains, fractures, and strains, can cause a loss of support in your feet. Make an appointment with a podiatrist if you have pain or swelling in your feet or ankles or if you experience difficulty walking.
- Obesity. Research reveals that more than one-third of Americans are obese. This extra weight puts added pressure on ankles, hips, and knees, leading to more wear and tear on your feet.
- Tendon and Muscle Issues. Tendons, bones, and muscles, aid your feet in carrying your weight. If a muscle or tendon in your foot or ankle is injured, even the simple act of walking can become painful.
- Skin Disorders. The list of skin disorders are long, but certain skin conditions can result in significant health problems. See a podiatrist if the following skin issues develop:
- Toe Joint and Nerve Problems: Pain and numbness – when located in the joints of the toes – can cause a hammertoe, neuroma, or bunions.
- Toenail Issues. While they may seem like the least of your worries, toenail issues can cause significant discomfort from toenail fungus or ingrown toenails.
Keep your feet healthy by seeing a podiatrist if you experience any of these issues. Contact the office of Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists to schedule a consultation. Call our office today at (425) 455-0936 to book your visit or schedule an appointment online.