June is National Men’s Health month. And while men aren’t typically too concerned with the feel, smell or look of their feet, when summer rolls around, that often changes. Today Dr. Hubert Lee of CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists is sharing five easy ways that men can make their feet feel and look better.
- Change your socks each day. Feet tend to sweat during the day, so it’s important to change your socks at least once or twice a day to prevent excessive moisture.
- Wash your feet using soap and water. Wash your feet daily using soap and water to prevent or control athlete’s foot. This is a common condition for men who typically wear shoes that don’t breathe well.
- Dry your feet thoroughly. When finished washing your feet, always remember to dry the areas between the toes. If you apply lotion, don’t put it between the toes because it can cause tissue breakdown and ulceration.
- Cut toenails properly. Sterilize your toenail clipper with rubbing alcohol and make a few small cuts. Don’t attempt to cut the whole nail at once and don’t dig at the corners. Just cut straight across, leaving the nails a bit long. Cutting them too short can leave the nail plate vulnerable to additional weakening, infection or lead to an ingrown toenail. It’s important to cut nails when they are dry because wet nails can bend or tear when they are too soft.
- Don’t be tempted to perform ‘bathroom surgery.’ Men typically take a more hands-on approach to manage a nonthreatening foot issue. Therefore, they are more likely to engage in ‘bathroom surgery.’ But instead of attempting to remove areas of your flesh, treat calluses using a pumice stone or put padding in your shoe.
In some cases, toenail fungus can be treated by removing part of the nail or by applying an over-the-counter anti-fungal medication exclusively for nails. If you have blisters, leave them alone. If one should tear, clean the area with soap and water, keep the skin flap in place, and apply an antibiotic ointment and a clean bandage.
If you want your feet to be the happy and healthy this summer – and show them off proudly – contact the office of Dr. Hubert Lee at CarePlus Foot & Ankle Specialists today at (425) 455-0936 to book an appointment or schedule it online.